-Mobile continuation from Xanga blog PinkyGuerrero, this blog is PinkyGuerrero, ongoing continuation at blogs Pinky & Janika & Basically Clueless & PinkFeldspar, in that order.
-Most of the graphics and vids click to sources.
-Personal blog for Janika Banks.
 photo README2.gif

Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

pumpkin spice

Punkin season is upon us. Burrito and her mama did this one.


I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin custard... but I really don't eat pumpkin very often. I might make pumpkin pancakes and/or waffles sometime this fall, haven't tried that yet. I think burrito is going to a pumpkin patch tomorrow. My chickens have already eaten a pumpkin. Every year I lurk around the webs looking at jackolanterns. Remember when Strong Bad was a thing?


I admire the dedication this kind of stuff takes, but that's as far as I go with my own dedication- admiration.


Since I live out in the wild woods, it's fun throwing pumpkins off the deck and smashing them on trees. The critters can pick it apart from there. Between squirrels, woodchucks, armadillos, raccoons, chipmunks, field rats, possums, and all kinds of birds including wild turkeys, something out there is bound it clean it up if my chickens don't beat them to it. I have no idea if deer like pumpkin, but they love persimmons, so maybe it's a treat for them, too.

I'm partial to Libby's pumpkin. Don't know if you remember the great pumpkin shortage. I saw where one ebay bid from a chef outside the U.S. went over $20 a can. The shortage lasted a couple of years and set a precedent for pre-stocking that still shows up here and there when I look around the webs. Libby's has over 96,000 likes on their pumpkin facebook page and have put their ultimate pumpkin recipe collection on pinterest.

I'm one of those weirdo foodies who has been reading recipes since 7 years old and can't help obsessing over food history, so I find sites like this one. Click the pic.


One of these days I might try making a pumpkin custard right in the shell or try pumpkin spice bacon, but even better (maybe?) might be the bacon flavored pumpkin spiced coffee.


Why not go for the gusto with a pumpkin spice burger? That page is truly awesome, I'm not even going to try to put the picture here.

I've gotta run, but you can stick around and learn how to make super awesome jackolanterns if you like.