-Mobile continuation from Xanga blog PinkyGuerrero, this blog is PinkyGuerrero, ongoing continuation at blogs Pinky & Janika & Basically Clueless & PinkFeldspar, in that order.
-Most of the graphics and vids click to sources.
-Personal blog for Janika Banks.
 photo README2.gif

Translate

Thursday, October 13, 2016

me and Cortana over a cup of Java

I made this meme and pinned it here
original photo goes to Ranking All the Movies In the Terminator Franchise
I used to call this stuff tech meth. Sometimes I get sucked in and don't climb back out for hours. I documented this morning's trail so I can come back later and jump back down the hole if I want to. If you're not into techanese, scroll down to the big  pink pumpkin.

So Cortana (like the chat Siri for Windows 10) let me know Kaspersky was still pouting about Java plug ins, so I thought Ok, it's 4:30 a.m., I have some coffee in me, let's do this. Because I've been ignoring it since January when I first got Jawn going, and then complaining when I can't see my own plugins on my blogs.

First I had Kaspersky show me exactly what it was pouting about, and of course, who wants something like not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Win32.InstallMonster.gen in their computer, right? I mean, that sounds awfully weird and vague in an "ignore me because I'm sneaking in" kind of way. I did a search and ran into this Kaspersky Lab Forum, which wasn't very helpful but showed me that it's a common question.

* The quote not a virus comes from Kaspersky. It means that ist is not a dangerous virus. It could be a unknown program.
* It could contain malware. But it doesn't have to be. 


Not exactly helpful. I refined my search a little ("Kaspersky won't let me update Java in Windows 10") and came across the same question in a forum at superuser.com, and the suggestion there was to load the file to virustotal.com to find out for sure exactly what the file even is. Once the file was uploaded and scanned, I could see 'analysis', 'file detail', and 'additional information'. Most of  you will think that is gobbledygook, but in the 'file detail' part I can see a pretty green checkmark by Signature Verification, so it's a legitimate file that's been legally documented the way legit business is supposed to do (pretty sure that's what a verification check mark is supposed to mean). Also, I can see things like Product, File Version, and Description. I thought Ok, let's plug 'inno setup' into a search bar, and clicking on a couple things very quickly let me see that Microsoft has contracted with Inno Setup.

I've been wondering why Jawn wasn't allowing Java to update, now I know. Had to add those .exe files to exclusions, which is really easy now, just a couple of clicks in the Kaspersky pout window and now Cortana will leave me alone. But wait a second... I still had doubts. Melepot? Did they buy Inno Setup out or something?

EMSIsoft thinks the plugins are malware across the board, but I think they're just freaking people out to sell their own product. Everything else I can find out about Melepot is in other languages, like Romanian.

How to Fix 'Java Plugins' Errors Since this looks like a Norton foot in the door, I'm not going to further aggravate Kaspersky by running it.

Java applets stop working after Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows installation That is a 3 year old workaround, and has probably already been addressed in all the new update stuff. My search was for Windows 10 stuff, this is a different '10' thing. Everything I find about Kaspersky and Java seems to end around 2013.

FAQ: Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) Kaspersky explains in techanese that it doesn't even like Windows 10.

Back to virustotal.com. It's sitting there with it's little arms folded insisting that "The file being studied is a Portable Executable file! More specifically, it is a Win32 EXE file for the Windows GUI subsystem."

Well, maybe Cortana will let me know again sometime that Kaspersky is pouting or something. In the meantime, an hour has gone by and my eyes are already twirly before the sun has even come up. I just removed all the problems from exclusions and walked off from Kaspersky for a bit.

I know a lot of people turn off Java in their systems so trackers can't exchange info, I see this all the time in site tracker FAQ stuff, from simple user trackers to google analytics. Not having working Java isn't the worst thing in the world, but I'm on a gaming laptop, so I'm not sure if not allowing Java is holding other stuff back. Jawn can't seem to update my drivers, either, so...

click for cool pinterest board
Yes, too early to actually care. I got a new popcorn popper! Click the pic to go where I got mine. There are other styles to choose from, too.


Today I'm going to make popcorn balls, yay! I won't go too crazy like what I see on pinterest, but I might roll them in Halloween sprinkles for fun. I don't eat them myself, but Papa and Bunny will have fun eating them this weekend, and I can send a few home with her.

I don't see this addressed much anywhere, but one of the hardest things on a manic euphoric depression cycle is sedation. I can't even begin to describe how far that anesthesia threw me off and how difficult this week has been just getting back my normal brain rhythm. My memory glitching came back full force for a few days, my aspienado shutdowns have been accentuated, and I'm barely covering for somewhat my kind of normal. I'm ok, just thrown off my regular coping strategies, but I can definitely vouch for coming back from that amount of sedation being a real blow to people who trigger easily for suicidal thoughts, and I've been craving vicodin again like the old days. That's pretty much how I know it's a brain chemical thing and not 'just' feeling gloomy. And the really big red flag was not being able to get myself distracted into minecraft. Best plan was just spread out on the medias like a big float device and keep watching TV, which seems to be working out pretty well. I got a little mean on a couple of people, but I think overall I'm coming through this one in fairly good shape. It would've been very easy to snivel all over one or two people and pull them into my dark hole, but I'm really glad I didn't. I felt especially destructive this week behind all the fun.