-Mobile continuation from Xanga blog PinkyGuerrero, this blog is PinkyGuerrero, ongoing continuation at blogs Pinky & Janika & Basically Clueless & PinkFeldspar, in that order.
-Most of the graphics and vids click to sources.
-Personal blog for Janika Banks.
 photo README2.gif

Translate

Monday, October 5, 2015

oddz-n-endz and a jolly good time

click me for lolcat linguistic study

I'm a self-styled amateur linguistics enthusiast. The first time I heard the word 'homophobic' I thought That's me! because I'm not keen on leaving my house. I thought people were talking about other people who preferred holing up in their caves on the webs as opposed to chattering in real life to real faces. I tend to obsessively look up new words now since that one got a little awkward when I used it in a sentence. Out loud. To a real face. People think I'm smart now because I'm getting so good at hiding my dumb first.

My fave thing about the word arachnophobia is that it doesn't force me to spell or speak the word spiders. Unfortunately, it inspires other people to talk about spiders, bomb me with pix of spiders, and even throw spiders on me. That last one is a really good way to find out how fast I can violently break furniture and hate, despise, and loathe someone for life. Me dealing with my arachnophobia is more about dealing head on with facing up to my trepidations about stupid humans than it is about actual spiders. Trust no one.

2nd breksbest, like a Hobbit
We had a Bunny sleepover, which went really smooth this time. I learned yesterday that toddler aged cartoons dealing with photobomb probs are a thing, and that is a good way to eat breakfast, camped in front of the TV on the couch. Scoff all you want, when you have super ADHD kiddo in the house, you bless anyone who creates something that helps them sit still long enough to eat a real meal. We didn't eat in front of the TV growing up, and we didn't do it very often raising our own kids, but I'm all for anything that lowers stress levels and makes hanging out more pleasurable. Good vibes and good memories are important. My memories of grandparents are a bit on the fear factor side.

I rarely sit through TV myself. I know I live tweet sometimes and mention watching this show or that, but you guys don't see me pausing my show constantly to hear something again or start a discussion about it. I'm like a pause button bomber (what else would you call that?), and I'm probably lucky that alone hasn't destroyed my marriage.



Sitting is Killing You Good article. Go read it.

I feel so collegiate in my stripey sock.


~~~~~~~~~

Forgot I even started this. I just finished obsessively going back through fixing time tenses. My favorite time tenses are future perfect


and future progressive.


But what about future perfect past progressive?

Will have done, will be doing, will have been doing. Douglas Adams loved playing around with that. From Restaurant at the End of the Universe-

"One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be."

I bet you people getting this on a reader instead of the blog really hate it when I use light blue. Some of you guys on mobile are missing the cute little autumn leaves.

I need coffee but I don't want it to be 2 hours old when @bonenado gets up. I guess I could turn the pot off when it's done and he can microwave it. That's gotta be better than old overcooked coffee. Hang on.

Waiting for coffee... This is what you do when you wait for coffee. Click it to see Good Mythical Morning's "4 Real Cases of Time Travel". That's right- it's the bacon guys. You're welcome.


Hufda, little strong. Made it in the dark.

Today is one of those doctor follow up appointments where I hope I get my flu shot so it's done and out of the way. I carry my own latex-free bandaids around ever since I got a big ol' hive underneath one after a flu shot at Walgreens, and that came in handy last year when the nurse at my regular doctor's office discovered they had no latex-free bandaids anywhere. I know, some of you are anti-vaxxers. I grew up like that. I'll never forget my dad going DOWN and then being terribly weak for 6 weeks on a big flu year. Since I've done that with something that wasn't even the flu and then spent months recovering, I don't lightly scoff at anything that is estimated to kill percentages of people.

What You Should Know for the 2015-2016 Influenza Season

Coffee installed, brain calming down, maybe I can get a little nap in before I hafta leave. Yes, you heard me, coffee to calm my brain down. It's a thing. I've had a really big week dealing with stuff on Pinky blog, I'm a nervous wreck going to the doctor even on a good day because years of stuff, and this song has been on constant playback in my head for days. I can tell my anxiety is up because time suddenly started jumping around and I can't seem to fixate back into a right now orientation. But that's ok, I haven't messed up any bills yet.